Thursday, February 9, 2012

planning for portland

It's official: I'm obsessed with food. This isn't a new thing, but it's much more apparent now that I am writing about food on a (semi) regular basis. My whole day revolves around what and where I am going to eat. I barely finish one meal before I start thinking about the next, and I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem.

The real obsession reveals itself when I am making travel plans. Looking into where to eat is one of my favorite things to do, and I've been known to make reservations months in advance. It kills me that OpenTable only allows one reservation within a 2.5-hour time period -- this really puts a dent in my ability to plan ahead and keep my options open, but luckily phone reservations still exist.

With an upcoming trip to Portland and more options for delicious food than we have time, thorough research is of the utmost importance. Below is the list of current contenders. Some I've tried before and loved; others are new. hhf-reader suggestions are welcome!

Laurelhurst Market
Le Pigeon
Little Bird Bistro
Andina
Park Kitchen
Meat Cheese Bread
Veritable Quandary
Grain and Gristle
Bunk
La Petite Provence

Notes:
1. Laurelhurst Market is a non-negotiable. I love meat.
2. Food carts are off the list. It's not that I have anything against street food; it's just that I've never been able to get a local Portlander to give me a recommendation about which one to try (or to admit ever eating at one). Sure, there are lots of "best of" lists to be found and both Seattle Magazine and Sunset recommend Lardo, but I'm starting to wonder who actually eats at these food carts. Also, many of them close early and/or aren't open on the weekends. That creates a problem for a weekend visitor!

No comments:

Post a Comment